Polish your dancing shoes, pack your glad rags and head to Dunsborough, Busselton and Margaret River this June long weekend (2-5 June) for the biggest Jazz by the Bay festival to date.
With more than 40 events across 20 locations and 200+ musicians descending on the Margaret River Region for 4 days, the joint will be jumping. In 2017 there are new venues on board, international and interstate acts, returning favourites, and some of the State’s best jazz, soul and funk talent. .
More than half of the events are free – many just require a meal purchase! Tickets for the Buena Vista Social Club Young Guns, Karen Lane singing workshop, Cathrine Summers at Chandeliers on Abbey, Serge Le Goueff and the Steve McQueens are all available from Sticky Tickets – search for Jazz by the Bay. For other ticketed events see our website or enquire direct with venues.
This year’s highlights include:
- Buena Vista Social Club Young Guns with Adam Hall and the Velvet Playboys (Piano Box Jazz Bar, Old Broadwater Farm
- Vintage Hollywood Jazz – Cathrine Summers and her 6-piece ensemble delighting guests with a cheeky up-tempo night of vintage classics at Chandeliers on Abbey. Cathrine will also be performing at Ramada Resort Dunsborough with her trio
- The Steve McQueens – a neo-vintage soul-funk band from Singapore with a gorgeous sound, Clancy’s Fish Pub Red Room
- Elle Deslandes, Danny Moss and Harry Mitchell in the gallery with dinner at The Studio Gallery & Bistro.
- Nadira and Friends (Tas) at Rivendell Winery on Friday, Freddie Grigson and Allira Wilson on Saturday and Jazz Jacks Trio on Sunday!
- Bonnie Scott’s Jazz Duo at Rustico at Hayshed Hill on Friday and European Jazz Club with the Jessie Gordon Trio at Rustico on Sunday
- Sassafras Gypsy Jazz at The Goose in Busselton
- Free live entertainment all day at Lions Park, Dunsborough from 10.15am to 3.45pm on Saturday and Sunday – including some of the Festival’s headline acts, big bands, soul, swing and more!
- Workshops including singing the blues with Karen Lane (UK), and swing dancing.
- A Saxophone Journey with Serge Le Goueff – jazz musical theatre where Serge will take the audience on an unforgettable musical trip. (Old Dunsborough Hall)
- Roving entertainment in Busselton and Dunsborough by The Magnificent 7 Trad Jazz and SSB Quintet
- Cassandra Charlick Duo performing in Ngilgi Cave (Sun 11am-1pm – free with Cave Tour ticket purchase). Cassandra will also appear at Morries Margaret River with her Trio, and with her Gypsy Jazz Trio at Aravina Estate
- Decadent Champagne High Tea and Jazz with Charmaine Clements, Danny Moss Jr and Ookii Effendi at Pullman Bunker Bay Resort
- Jazz from the American Song Book by Mr & Mrs Smith Trio with a Creole-inspired lunch at Clairault Streiker
- A weekend of jazz at Caves House Hotel – from Friday night to Monday afternoon with the Karen Lane Quartet (UK), the Sets, Cassandra Charlick Trio, WAAPA Jazz Guitar Duo, and the Penny King Quartet
- Jazz takeover at Provence Estate by the best youth jazz bands in the region including Margaret River SHS Jazz Band, Bunbury Catholic College Jazz Guitar Ensemble, WA Youth Jazz Orchestra, and Geographe Bay Music I – and best of all it’s free!
You can find the full schedule at http://www.jazzbythebay.com.au/view/program