Vine Collective is an awesome online winery and wine rating website that connects wine lovers to each other, and direct to the wine producer. They’ve been a client of my day job, Pronto PR – I don’t usually share client work on Travelletto, but Vine Collective is a site that I think you’ll love. I do! And they have a cracking competition that’s worth buying wine for – more below.
Vine Collective is like the UrbanSpoon of the wine world, but better. What I love the most about Vine Collective is that they have gone into bat for the little guy. Since I’ve met Doctor Ben Thomas, the MD of Vine Collective with a PhD in wine tourism, I’ve learned that Woolworths and Coles own 80% of the bottle shops and liquor retail in the country. Small boutique wineries simply can’t afford the shelf space at the major retailers, nor do they produce the volume. As wine lovers know, it’s often the small boutique wineries that produce the most interesting wines.
One of my favourite features on Vine Collective is that you can store wines you like in your virtual cellar – so when you’re out visiting wineries or in a restaurant, or anywhere really and taste a wine you like, you can grab your phone and add that wine to your virtual wine cellar. When you want to buy, go to your cellar. Vine Collective makes their money by taking a percentage on each sale – much like a retailer, but the percentage is lower, which means better prices for the consumer.
- Silkwood Pinot Noir – $27.50, this is a terrific Pinot Noir from Pemberton. It’s smooth, light but still has great structure. I love this Pinto Noir. A gorgeous winery with stunning chalets – read more here.
- Silkwood Leaf Pinot Noir – $21.70, this seems to be Silkwood’s cheaper label and I haven’t tried this one but I’m keen to compare it to the wine above. $22
- Willow Bridge Gravel Pit Shiraz – $29.40 I bought this based on Joel’s recommendation below and the critic’s scores. I love a good shiraz.
- Stormflower Chardonnay
- Willow Bridge Gravel Pit Shiraz
- Talisman Riesling
- Higher Plane Sauvignon Blanc
- Hay Shed Hill Cabernet Sauvignon